- To learn if you have the time, interest, and learning style necessary to succeed in this course.
- To learn how serious games differ from real games.
- To learn about the controversies surrounding “gamification”.
- To begin to develop your own perspective on the role of games in information technology and social change.
This module provides a brief introduction to serious games and gamification through the review of the following short, contrasting materials from four experts in the field:
- Jane McGonigal: Gaming can make a better world (TED Talk). (20 min)
- Ian Bogost: Gamification is Bullshit (20 min)
- Tadhg Kelly: Everything you’ll ever need to know about gamification (20 min)
- Sebastian Deterding: Meaningful Play: Getting Gamification Right (50 min)