- To learn more about the issues of serious games by attempting to design your own.
- Energy feedback for smart grid consumers: Lessons learned from the Kukui Cup, R. Brewer, Y. Xu, G. Lee, M. Katchuck, C. Moore, and P. Johnson, in Proceedings of Energy 2013.
- Beyond kWh: Myths and fixes for energy competition game design, P. Johnson, Y. Xu, R. Brewer, G. Lee, M. Katchuck, and C. Moore, in Proceedings of Meaningful Play, 2012
- Makahiki+WattDepot: An open source software stack for next generation energy research, P. Johnson, Y. Xu, R. Brewer, C. Moore, G. Lee, and A. Connell, in Proceedings of ICT4S, 2013.
- Beyond Badges: Gamification in the Kukui Cup, Philip Johnson, Lightning talk at BECC 2011. The introduction lasts until around 1:30. Talk is about 5 minutes long.
- Summary of Kukui Cup Game Mechanics.
- Serious games: online games for learning, Anne Derryberry.
- E-Learning example: Branching scenario, C. Moore. (Be sure to click on “give it a spin” in the third paragraph to try the game out before reading the rest of the article.)
- Spent (A serious game to show the realities of the working poor).
- Chore Wars. (A serious game to make housework competitive.)
- Super Better (A serious game for improving health and wellness.)
- World without oil (A serious game about energy.)
- Serious game types and examples. (Provides links to over 30 serious games in a variety of disciplines and for a variety of platforms. Provided in case you find any of interest.)